CPI shenanigans

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 27 20:17:35 PST 2000

[bounced bec of an address oddity]

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:41:45 -0500 From: Enrique Diaz-Alvarez <enrique at ee.cornell.edu>

Hi y'all,

my wife has her year-end review at her job next week, and she wants to take in some sort of evidence that the CPI is underreporting inflation. Does anybody know any links to coherent critiques of the revisions to CPI, hedonic pricing, substitution, efficiency gains, and the like, preferably with alternative quantitative estimates? Thanks in advance.

Today I found out they just jacked up the price of Manchego cheese 30%, even though the freakin' Euro is down God knows how much. Must be a more efficient version.

Enrique