Wash Post on WB/IMF troublemaking

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Jan 27 20:29:53 PST 2000

"Even under Mayor Barry" !!?! Odd staement from a DC kind of guy like you, Max. Barry's dashiki fool you too?

mbs: Thumping protesters was not his style, for all his other pecadilloes.

>>>Your reasoning--that we should strike where elites enjoy their wealth,
rather than at the places where they exploit labor--is not very convincing, Max. Trash a posh eatery, the owner collects on insurance, nothing much changes. This is a difficult way to make the argument that these guys shouldn't *have* the fruits of labor in the first place.

That's not my argument. It's that these places are focuses of privilege and unrequited riches. Wage labor is by definition exploited, so it wouldn't matter on that account which window you broke. Symbolically, these expense-account places say a lot more, IMO. You forget I'm not a marxist and I'm not on a crusade to socialize capital.

mbs