19th century philosophy, east and west

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Jan 28 02:27:07 PST 2000

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000 00:07:31 -0800 Sam Pawlett <rsp at uniserve.com> writes:

>Michael Pollak wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know of a good book that treats the reception of early
>Indian
>> philosophical ideas (early buddhism and the Upanishads) by European
>> thought in the 19th century? I'm especially interested a good
>account of
>> Schopenhauer -- how far he was an innovator in this department, and
>how
>> far simply a leading representative of a broader trend. Any and all
>> suggestions appreciated.
>>

>Hi MIchael,
>
>As far as I know Schopenhauer is the only 19th cent. philosopher who
>used Eastern thought in his system and was the first to bring the
>Upanishads to western attention.

The New England Transcendentalists especially Emerson and Thoreau certainly had an interest in Eastern thought as well.

________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.