Desire & Scarcity (was Re: Desire under the Elms)

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Jan 28 15:20:32 PST 2000

. . . The abolition of the world ruled by Desire & Scarcity removes "the mystical character of commodities," leaving us free to make use of our powers (historically developed under the whip of the cruel Master of Desire) to meet our existing needs and desires and develop new ones through "an association, in which the free development of each is the condition for the free development of all."

And we'll have sex and sensually enjoy bodies (our own & others') without gender & "sexuality" (conceived in our modern fashion as the Truth of the Self). The end of Platonic Love, the beginning of pleasant surprises & lasting friendships. Yoshie

Sign me up!

Sounds mystical, though not necessarily bad.

Or put it this way. The socialization of the means of production/elimination of classes seems to connote an absence of scarcity that does not obtain in *any* real economy, where rationing of one sort or another is inescapable. Nice to imagine but hard to believe.

mbs