Tedium or Te Deum? (Re: Spivak & Eagleton)

Michael Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Fri Jan 28 21:00:06 PST 2000

I want to agree strongly with Carrol here. I am never going to know why I have been depressed since I was in my early teens. I am never going to know exactly why I can't stand when the phone rings late at night. Or why the antidepressant, Paxil, seems to have made me unable to enjoy music as I once did (even though I don't take it any more). I can see what studies of large numbers of people say, just like in economics I can look at empirical analyses and see that unemployment and prison admissions are positively correlated. But this cannot tell me why a specific person is in prison.

Michael Yates