New book for going beyond Sectarianism

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sat Jan 29 00:13:16 PST 2000

At 16:01 28/01/00 -0800, you wrote:
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/080148636X/o/qid=949103837/sr=2-2/002
>-5436050-1507227
>
>Folks in Seattle are scooping them up quick...
>
>or try
>Same book different purchase site
>
>http://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/cornellpress/cup3_catalog.taf?_function=
>category&category=arrival
>

>Ian

Thank you.

The left opportunist deviation of marxism incorrectly asserts that "middle class people" are not fundamentally bourgeosified workers.

It therefore concentrates on an economist preoccupation with the half of the population that still subjectively calls itself working class. Far from being revolutionary, this emphasises material and subjective divisions among working people, is economist and reformist.

I agree the blurb on this book looks as if it addresses the need for broad effective coalitions that can shift political power significantly in the direction of working people through political, not economist, campaigns -

Too often struggles for jobs and economic justice have been divided from social goals such as peace or protecting the environment. How do we create an economy where both the process and product of work serve life-sustaining goals? Coalitions across the Class Divide argues that the seeds of this new society are being sown by those who learn to bridge working and middle-class movements and cultures. A new generation of activists is seizing a historic opportunity to organize coalitions across the labor, peace, environmental, and other movements that have previously worked in isolation or at odds. <<<<<

Chris Burford

London