Atwood/Strike Update

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Sat Jan 29 06:48:51 PST 2000

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 09:32:46 -0500 Kelley <oudies at flash.net> wrote:

> through the grapevine, i heard that the only way Margaret Atwood--a rather
famous feminist author whose book The Handmaid's Tale is widely read--found out about the strike and the need to write in was through a posting I'd made on the Women's Studies List.

I don't want to burst any bubbles here... but Atwood is an alumni, and she, I believe, had been updated by the strike by members of the faculty association. However, you might be correct - since both you and Atwood have consistently mispelled Prichard's name (in the past)(I see that you've got it right below). ; )

(correct me if i'm wrong, I wouldn't want to get my fax in a wad)

> Just a rumor, so take it for what it's worth. But, get this, the owner of
said list put me on warning and made it so my posts were on approval only after I did so. Such a strike is not related to teaching and is too political so it was unwelcome on a list with 5000 subscribers. She also banned any responses from other grad students/sympathetic faculty about the strike and union drives elsewhere!

This is stupid. You know what it is? Stupid. This is the exact strategy of the administration, the depoliticization of the university, "this isn't the real world." I wrote what I regard to be a nice piece to my students about this. Whether you agree with the union or not, or with the admin, one thing that must considered is the political economy of public education. "All reification is a forgetting" (need I remind those who teach).

> Anyway, folks out there can help by contacting U of T alumni they might
> know who might be sympathetic. Ditto Harvard folks since Prichard is
> leaving for a post at the Harvard Law School. Not that Harvard gives a
> hoot, but.....

CUPE3902 is in contact with several students at Harvard... and is also building a welcoming committee.

ken

"We'll burn your fucking ice rink!"