Polo wars [the horse and rider are down now, beaten badly]

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Sat Jan 29 11:51:08 PST 2000

<< A)antifoundationalism is older than pomo.

You're telling me? I'm a pragmatist. James, Royce, Peirce, and Dewey were antifoundationalists before pomo was even a glimmer in modernism's eye. Not to mention my beloved Germans, going baclk to graet, craeking old Kant. "Intuitions without concepts are blind," he said in 1787.

> B)antirealism is simply agnostic/extremely skeptical about what if any

"type[s]" of structures exist apart from the way we dislose them to

ourselves and each other via language and machines/tools. Is space-time

particles or waves or both when we're not investigating microworlds? Is the

air transparent to a fly?

Right, same deal. I used to be a philosophy prof. I won't be shoked to hear that some smart people have thought that reality isn't real.

> C)antiessentialism is simply a close cousin to B. Identity[ies] can be

shattered/reconfigured--learned...

Yes, of course.

But look, my point wasn''t that this is a list of silly positions. On the contrary, I said that the themes of pomo are serious positions that deserve seriouys discussion, discussion they mostly don't get from the pomoistas.

--jks