Mike Dolan , Seattle and China

Hep Ingham hingham at igc.apc.org
Sat Jan 29 14:10:57 PST 2000

Mike Dolan was a featured speaker at a globalization and democracy forum here in Houston last night. John Hart, UH history prof, gave a brilliant recount of the Mexican experience since 1980, look him up if you get the chance.

I didn't ask Dolan about his collabaration with the authorities in Seattle but I'll repeat what he talked about.

First he listed the celebs he encountered in Seattle the first Tuesday. He ran into Tom Hayden on a corner and asked him if this was like Chicago '68. He said Hayden replied, "Yeah it's similar, but this time you guys are winning."

Then he recounted his first tear gas experience. While standing with Danaher and Medea a wooden dowel broke the window he was protecting and then the gas came. Some DAN folks scooped him up and washed out his eyes and when he came to.... there was Colin Hines with Julie Cristie on his arm. He thought it was the ice palace all over again.

Today there was a progressive strategy meeting concerning the state of Texas. A wide variety of groups were represented including the Texas Green Party. Dolan talked about WTO status for China. His argument is that we must stop China's entry since this will be a victory for the transnationals. Stoping China is Internationalism not economic nationalism. He mentioned the "Butchers of Bejing." This will be the focal point for Nader's campaign.

Buzzanco got up and said that organizing around this issue, at the local level, was a waste of time and that these DC groups are mainly interested in leading their fights which are of minor importance to local citizens. A few more exchanges occurred until someone mentioned he was just "facilitating" the meeting.

Is it Internationalism to oppose China's entry to the WTO?