Desire & Scarcity (was Re: Desire under the Elms)

Sat Jan 29 16:11:26 PST 2000

>On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Brad De Long wrote:
>
>> Or, as George Stigler put it:
>>
>> "It would be easy to provide everyone with a physiologically adequate
>> diet; for example, a [hu]man could perhaps live for a year on the
>> following diet, at a cost of about $8 a month in 1950:
>>
>> --370 pounds of wheat flour
>> --57 cans of evaporated milk
>> --111 pounds of cabbage
>> --25 pounds of spinach
>> --285 pounds of dried navy beans.
>
>I'm just curious -- without salt or oil or yeast, what are we supposed to
>be doing with the wheat flour?
>
>Michael

As Michael P. said, this is the solution to a linear programming problem, not a list of ingredients for a diet. The point is that it does so well at providing a bunch of nutrients in such an... unappetizing form.

Brad DeLong