Desire & Scarcity (was Re: Desire under the Elms)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jan 30 13:28:05 PST 2000

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Michael Yates wrote:
>
> >Perhaps I am not understanding this thread, but why would anyone think
> >that communism would deny us our desires?
>
> Dunno, but some of our resident communists want to deny the very
> concept of desire, apart from some historically contingent
> frustrations of capitalism.

Doug, disagreement is one thing -- a consistent refusal to recognize what several of us is saying is something else. I claim that "Desire" as an abstraction is either a religious or a biologistic conception, and that *as

a conception* it (not communism or my anti-psychologism) denies us our desires. Your statement here is as absurd as it would have been for someone to say that Marx denied that enclosure occurred in Scotland because he denied that Providence was an explanation of enclosure. Desire does *not* explain desires -- it obscures them. You are the one that is denying human desires.

Carrol