Justice & the General Will (was Re: Nervous reply to Ken and Ange)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jan 30 16:06:56 PST 2000

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> In other
> words, Habermas's "ideal speech situation" and "lifeworld" are dialectical
> twins (individualism and organicism) that exist to obscure the primary &
> secondary contradictions of the bourgeois civil society: class, gender,
> race, and so on.

This relationship between individualism and organicism (even specialized versions of organicism, as in organic conceptions of poems) is something I've been convinced of for a quarter of a century but have never quite been able to explicate to my own satisfaction. You are probably right in labelling them as dialectical twins -- but I'd like to see this claim worked out in more detail than I've ever been able to.

Daniel is a schmuck. Steve Philion is correct -- Daniel is the Buffalo. I tried to read his reply to Michael and gave up and deleted it after about three sentences.

Carrol