Health of language

DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com
Mon Jan 31 00:07:03 PST 2000

>Shit. Language is tougher than any state power, than any
>profession, or than any philosophical school. It simply
>is non-debasable. A core defense of poetry for about a
>century (say Flaubert through Ezra Pound and Allen
>Tate) was that it maintained the health of language.
>But any language is too tough to need such support.

>Carrol

Hmmm ... you may be a bit optimistic here mate -- (I'm guessing that your first language is English). As a speaker of a language (Welsh) which looked in genuine danger of dying out at the beginning of this century, and which has been kept on life-support throughout it by the poets as well as the politicians, I'd say that the health of language is something that needs to be guarded a bit more energetically than you'd think.

dd

_____

This email is confidential to the ordinary user of the

e-mail address to which it was addressed. If you are not

the intended recipient, please notify the sender

immediately on (44) 171 638 5858 and delete the message

from all locations in your computer. You should not copy

this email or use it for any purpose, or disclose its

contents to any person : to do so may be unlawful.

Email is an informal method of communication and is

subject to possible data corruption, either accidentally

or on purpose. Flemings is unable to exercise control

over the content of information contained in

transmissions made via the Internet. For these reasons

it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information

contained on email without obtaining written confirmation

of it.