desire/ message board

Mon Jan 31 17:16:13 PST 2000

> patriarchy? can you see it, taste it, touch it, fuck it? i'm with bhaskar
> here: the social sciences [and i consider psych a social science] "create"
> their objects of investigation. nay, ALL sciences create their object of
> investigation. indeed, the edifice of that "social institution" we call

Um, Kelley, would you kindly check to see whether Bhaskar is this kind of radical social constructionist; doesn't he insist on the distinction between transitive and intransitive aspects of social life? And by the way all coercion is obviously not conceptual in nature. And the positing of *unobservable* explanatory mechanisms or entities does not necessarily or obviously at least commit one to anti realism or radical social constructivism. And I don't think it's history or social transformation per se that for Bhaskar makes the social sciences open in a way that natural scientific experiments are not. Your characterisations of others' positions seems to remain rife with error. I didn't read much further into this single 20K post, Kelley, where you go on to discuss Freud, infantile dependence and a host of other topics.

Nice to have you back,

Rakesh