"pork" is no longer pc.

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 31 17:41:21 PST 2000

Material is from Manitoba Co-operator Jan. 27:

U.S. hog raisers want George Bush to stop dragging the word "pork" through the mud. In a candidates' debate in Iowa, the biggest pork producing state, Bush quipped that he would get rid of pork, quit feeding the hog.

The pork producers are sick and tired of pork being associated with wasteful government spending.

The National Pork Producers Council says: " We feel it is time to relegate pork's negative political connotation to the scrap heap of history once and for all. Call it waste, call it excess, call it unnecessary spending--just don't call it pork."

Porks' rightful status the NPPC claims is as a wonderful, nutritious health food. Far from representing bloated spending, pork today is 31 per cent leaner than it was ten years ago.

Cheers, Ken Hanly

P.S. I assume it is still OK to bring home the bacon.

Nozick's communitarianism is to be found in THE EXAMINED LIFE, Simon and Shuster, 1989 in one or two chapters.