DeLong's Japanese 'Utopia'

Mon Jul 3 11:13:37 PDT 2000

>DeLong writes:
>
>>'The regime and society that grew out of MacArthur's proconsulship
>>is the >closest thing to Utopia that exists in Asia.'
>
>This is a stunning statement. From who's point of view? Thousands
>upon thousands of Japanese citizens demonstrated in the streets in
>1960 and 1969 against the US-Japanese security treaty, the Vietnam
>War and their government's alliance with the US (the 1960 treaty was
>passed only when the government forcibly kept out the opposition
>parties from the Diet by the way). On the industrial front, ever
>hear of Minamata disease? The destruction of the Japan Sea and then
>large swaths of Indonesian forests by marauding Japanese
>corporations? The alliance between construction companies and the
>ruling party that in 1998 paved over the last free-flowing river on
>the island of Honshu? The use of gangsters, even today, against
>environmental protests, leftist demonstrations, corporate
>stockholders meetings? Utopia? Maybe for a white man sitting in
>Berkeley with several years of Treasury Department experience under
>his belt. But not to rank & file Japanese.
>TS

I didn't say that Japan *was* Utopia: I think there are lots of things wrong with the Japanese polity, economy, and society.

I said Japan was the *closest thing* to Utopia in *Asia* today.

You pretend to disagree, but you don't really. For what is your candidate for a better regime and society today in Asia than Japan? You have none.

Learn to read.

Brad DeLong