RES: Korea's blessing

Mon Jul 3 11:13:56 PDT 2000

>Both North and South, partition led to reaction. In the North Kim Il
>Sung's regime was consolidated as the only other competing power was
>based in the now isolated South Korean wing of the party. In the South
>Syngman Rhee's belligerence was undertaken to trump the victory of the
>opposition in the elections the previous year.
>
>In the course of the war Rhee's government slaughtered suspected
>oppositionist by the thousands. Worse still, MacArthur sacked Seoul
>twice over: once taking it back from the North Koreans and then a second
>time retreating from a Chinese invasion that existed mainly in his own
>propaganda. Those dislocations, and the partition that they are based
>upon meant that it was impossible for any semblance of democracy to
>emerge in Korea, North and South. Partition frustrates the will of the
>Korean people as a whole, but it suits America's elite.
>
>--
>James Heartfield

Somehow I think that installing Kim Jong Il as Head Theocrat over all Korea would frustrate the will of the Korean people a good deal more than partition does. But maybe I'm just slow, and don't realize the benefits of High Stalinist-Theocratic Hereditary Monarchy-Central Planning by Incompetents, and of bark eating...

As a card-carrying member of the Central Committee (as well as of the Masonic Guild of Neoclassical Economists), let me say that a democratic South Korea would have suited us just fine--just as a democratic west Germany and a democratic Italy and a democratic France suited us just fine. What we wanted was wealthy trading partners and allies/buffer states against expansionist totalitarian and authoritarian regimes.

Hell, if only we had had more far-sighted people than Kissinger and Nixon around, we would even have realized that Allende was an asset: the idea that you could be Communist and also have free elections would have been a very powerful weapon to use to break down the Iron Curtain. It would have accelerated the Helsinki process...

Brad DeLong, who has an ordinate fear of Communism and an inordinate fear of excessive anti-communism.