DeLong's Japanese 'Utopia'

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Mon Jul 3 16:18:17 PDT 2000

On Mon, 3 Jul 2000 TRox51 at aol.com wrote:

> But apparently one Berkeley professor can't understand, no
> matter how much he reads, that there was a terrible cost to the
> so-called Japanese miracle, not only to the Japanese environment and
> political culture, but to Korea's, Vietnam's and other
> countries as well.

But Japan also has some of the toughest laws against pollution around, one of the most egalitarian distributions of wealth, licensed much of the technology which enabled Taiwan and South Korea to grow like mad, and has done more than any other country to bail out Asia. And you can complain about the Government in Japan without being shot and even vote for a Communist party. These sound to me like genuine victories by the working people of Japan against the bourgies, worth celebrating and defending. Human rights are workers' rights, remember?

-- Dennis