DeLong goes for the jugular

DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com
Tue Jul 4 06:27:16 PDT 2000

At the end of an awful lot of sensible stuff, Michael Pollak wrote:

>I think I express the sentiments of the majority of LOBsters when I say
>that I wish the two of you would mutually promise never to call each other
>racists or stalinists again, and would both make the heroic effort to
>overlook the times when you have succumbed to temptation in the past. We
>all know it isn't true; even the two of you know it isn't true. It just
>makes you both mad, which neither of you seem to enjoy. You both strongly
>disagree, and feel this to be as much a moral as an intellectual argument.
>All the more reason to take each other seriously and not stoop to insult.

Which is probably true, but I've never felt that reaching for the personal insults should be considered as "stooping", and I was rather enjoying the flamewar for its sheer bad-temperedness. It is with this in mind that I offer the following list of epithets, should either side run out. In the spirit of Free Software, I offer this as "open source" invective, for the community. And the children.

"A stooge in search of a Stalin" -- Brad DeLong A loony in search of a Lenin A fool in search of a Friedman A rogue in search of a Reagan A tramp in search of a Trotsky A rube in search of a Rubin A b*stard in search of a Bakunin A schlemiel in search of a Schwarzkopf A kid in search of a Kissinger A kiss-ass in search of a Kim A chump in search of a Ceaucescu A cad in search of a Qadafi A scholar in search of an Ayatollah A sad man in search of a Sadaam A nerd in search of a Nader A zit in search of a Zizek A monkey in search of a Milosevic A nit in search of a Nixon A pinhead in search of a Pinochet A vermin in search of a Verwoerd A flack in seach of a Franco A hack in search of an Abacha A sot in search of a Pol Pot

etc, etc. God willing, I will post something sensible tomorrow. 188-9!

dd

___________________________________________________________________________ _____

This email is confidential to the ordinary user of the

e-mail address to which it was addressed. If you are not

the intended recipient, please notify the sender

immediately on (44) 20 7638 5858 and delete the message

from all locations in your computer. You should not copy

this email or use it for any purpose, or disclose its

contents to any person : to do so may be unlawful.

Email is an informal method of communication and is

subject to possible data corruption, either accidentally

or on purpose. Flemings is unable to exercise control

over the content of information contained in

transmissions made via the Internet. For these reasons

it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information

contained on email without obtaining written confirmation

of it.