DeLong goes for the jugular

Jean-Christophe Helary helary at eskimo.com
Tue Jul 4 23:34:44 PDT 2000

Besides for the unions (but then the teachers unions vere always very powerful in Japan) pretty much the same can be said about Japan. Still I suppose what Yoshie meant is that this 'grass root' level democracy does not make it above a certain level, and that was confirmed from what I saw after comming here (in Japan) or talking to german friends. Ok, it is not serious studying, but comparing that to daily experiences in the 'activist' world in France, where I come from, and it's implication on national level politics confirms what Yoshie says. As Brad says, Japan is a 'democracy' and so respects a few things that make it look like a democracy to the outsider. But it does not mean that there is no 'glass ceiling' that keeps you from having all you can get from 'democratic activity. I have the feeling this glass ceiling is pretty thick in the two countries that were supposed to be on the front line with the communist world.

JC Helary