The heart of a leftist

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Thu Jul 6 05:04:03 PDT 2000

G'day Chris,

>this is right-on. when i used to follow right-wing literature more closely,
>it was striking to me how the right has less purity tests and engages in
>less flagellation of people on their own side. they realize that they are a
>spectrum, and are pretty cool with it, and focus most of their hatred on
>anything even smacking of liberalism/leftism. most of the discussion that
>goes on on this list would not be acceptable, and would be seen as a waste
>of time. are they right?

That's one to them then, I reckon. And a big one.

Still, they hate us and love their idealised present. That's easy to do, as a group.

Even those of us joined in our hatred of them (and I like, enjoy and respect quite a few conservatives, myself) confront the fact that we are not defending the singular present (conservatives do not need to problematise the present - even if they reckon it's crap, they're all agreed that deliberate radical change'd make it worse, and that's the important thing - never mind that the economic right worship _accidental_ radical change), but seeking a myriad contending futures and a myriad contending ways of getting there.

Any ideas on how we address that little thing?

Cheers, Rob.