RES: Korea's blessing

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Thu Jul 6 17:50:58 PDT 2000

plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Precedence: bulk Reply-To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com

Oh, I agree with you that the US had no business waging war in Korea, and should, moreover, withdraw its current forces from that country. But I do not think that the merits of anti-imperialism and nonintervention are relevant to whether N.K. (or indeed, S.K.), has a legitimate form of government.

I note, moreover, that if being an American disqualifies someone from commenting on whether various forms of government are legitimate, taht you are out too, Charles. You are in no position to praise the dictatorship of the proletariat in N.K., being an American and all. However, you don't really believe that. You just disagree with us about what is a legitimate form of government. You think that what I would call a Stalinist dictatorship is just fine, while you dispise the mere formalities of bourgeois democracy. I see things just the other way around, and both of us think we can make these judgments about other countries.

As for the "redbaiting" remark, it is indeed clear that this is (directed at people on the left like me) the equivalent of calling an antiZionist Jew "self-hating," taht is, it is a stupid ad hominem. I have been redbaited and then some Charles; I lost my job and my career to it. There is a difference between that and honest if brutal criticism.

In your legitimate society, I would be dead or in jail as an enemy of the people; that is not "redbaiting" but a fact, and you would be happy to see me there. That strikes me as a fair criticism of your ideal regime. from my point of view. --jks