The End of Civilization

John K. Taber jktaber at dhc.net
Thu Jul 6 18:36:55 PDT 2000

Brad De Long <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU> said:

The collapse of civilization continues...

Seriously, folks. I collect pronouncements as to the end of civilization, especially "as we know it."

My best one is by a Wilkinson reported in the NY Times in 1964. Upon learning that computers could now "communicate" with each other, he announced that that was the end of civilization as we know it.

I think he was at the Center for Democratic Studies, Santa Barbara. Robert Hutchins disagreed with him.

Anyhow, if you have any such items, send them to me, especially with cites so that I can document them.

Hey, it's a harmless hobby.

Thanks

-- John K. Taber