Road rebels remove 'Liberty Rock'

Joanna Sheldon cjs10 at cornell.edu
Fri Jul 7 00:20:49 PDT 2000

>Lana Noland, chairman of the Elko County Libertarian Party, was in Jarbidge
>to voice condemnation of President's Clinton administration, saying Clinton
>"has usurped Congress and usurped the people" by declaring vast stretches of
>land as "roadless."
>"We are here to do the right thing," she said. "We are sovereign, not the
>government."
>

>©Elko Daily Free Press

Still, it's a revolutionary attitude, ain't it. Somebody should give her a copy of the Marseillaise...

I was just standing at my sink making the morning cuppa and thinking, for all that I believe my lefty conservationist stance is justified and their exploitative conservative stance is wrong, I'd still rather a world in which no single worldview ruled. Whatever attitude took over, it would end up bulldozing the joy out of us. Maybe we have to count ourselves lucky that some provocative little splinter group -- subculture, really -- will always be there to irritate.

mullingly, Jo

www.overlookhouse.com