The heart of a leftist

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jul 7 08:48:44 PDT 2000

Gordon:

>Yoshie Furuhashi:
> > You grew up in America, and that's why you don't notice how odd this
> > country is.
>
>JKSCHW at aol.com:
> > Oh, I certainly do notice how odd this country is....
>
>Odd compared to what?

Odd compared to its fellow rich imperial nations, for instance. America stands alone, to take just one example, in its go-it-alone blockade on Cuba. On this question, though, at long last it may be inching closer to the world standard.

(To come back to the piece that launched this thread, where else in the world can David Horowitz make a living being a professional anticommunist???)

In the future, there may be more policy convergence between America and the rest of the imperial world, I believe; the German people, for instance, has cast aside its guilt-induced pacifism by actively participating in the war on Yugoslavia. Can Japan be far behind?

What is not likely to change is that American will remain the only country that possesses military bases in numerous foreign countries all over the world.

At 3:59 PM -0400 7/5/00, Charles Brown wrote:
>Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 15:59:19 -0400
>From: "Charles Brown" <CharlesB at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us>
>To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>
>Subject: Re: Americans happy; DP support slipping

>[from Gallup's weekly update]
>
>.... Americans also believe that the
>U.S. is the leading military power in the world and one of the leading
>economic powers...

>CB: Hey, here's something just about everybody can agree with.

Indeed.

Yoshie