The heart of a leftist

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jul 7 10:10:47 PDT 2000

Kelley wrote:

>if you really do work with people and not among a rarified crowd of
>university activists, then you would never try to sell the pack of
>lies you try to sell here at lbo. a quick tour of any ordinary
>neighborhood or a discussion with a taxicab driver or whathaveyou
>will yield an array of complex thinking on the topic that DOES NOT
>boil down to a simplified: big government bad; individual
>responsibility and free market good. and it doesn't boil down to a
>simplified romanticization of people as really progressive
>underneath it all, either.

In some ways, the thinking of ordinary Americans is much more preferable to that of LBO-talkers. They don't pay much attention to foreign affairs, for better or worse, unlike LBO-talkers. Phew! Things could be a lot worse if they began to think like Brad. Ordinary Americans, unlike us, don't waste time reading David Horowitz & other professional anticommunists either. The majority of them don't know who Paul Krugman is, probably. Good for them! Shame on us!

the glass is a quarter full,

Yoshie

P.S. BTW, we live in ordinary neighborhoods, so we don't make "a quick tour," as if we were some kind of sociologist. As for my neighborhood, Columbus, Ohio has to be the closest thing to the mythical Middle America....