The heart of a leftist

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jul 7 11:53:41 PDT 2000

>kelley,
>this is right-on. when i used to follow right-wing literature more closely,
>it was striking to me how the right has less purity tests and engages in
>less flagellation of people on their own side. they realize that they are a
>spectrum, and are pretty cool with it, and focus most of their hatred on
>anything even smacking of liberalism/leftism.
>ck

Obviously, Carrol Cox, Michael Hoover, John Mage, I, etc. don't pass Justin's purity test because we don't think it necessary to repeat "rejection of Stalinism ad nauseam":

At 1:13 PM -0400 7/7/00, kelley wrote:
>firstly, it wasn't a lecture. it was "data" and it should be
>addressed as such: limited empiricism of the kind you engaged in
>when you said that your experience talking to people suggested X
>about their political position. no, you don't recognize
>"ambivalence etc" because, well, you wouldn't write it AS
>"ambivalence, etc" and expect that to suffice for your understanding
>of people's ways of thinking on the topic. you would actually be
>capable of fleshing it out. writing it as "ambivalence, etc"
>suggests to me you don't have a clue what a taxicab driver or bedpan
>washer might fucking tell you about how to address the healthcare
>problem in this country.

Apparently, I don't pass Kelly's purity test either. Forget my activist work -- it just doesn't measure up! Obviously polling data are more important than strike solidarity and other micro-micro-micro political work! Compared to Kelley, what do I know about Americans?

So be it. It's a big tent here on LBO, really, with so many open-minded people committed to irony & skepticism. :)

Yoshie