religious crackpots in public life, was Re: The heart of a leftist

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jul 8 07:27:43 PDT 2000

>It was deeply religious folks who had watched the discrediting of
>religion in Europe by its corruption by power who promoted the
>Establishment Clause.
>
>-- Nathan Newman

"[R]eligious historians and scholars estimate that in 1776 as few as 10 to 17% of Americans claimed any religious affiliation at all, and that the popular attitude toward religion was one of vast indifference--though few wished to harm religious freedom" (Charles L. Harper, "The End of American Religion 'As We Know It?'" available at <http://puffin.creighton.edu/human/CSRS/news/S97-3.html>).

Yoshie