religious crackpots in public life, was Re: The heart of a leftist

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Sat Jul 8 09:52:17 PDT 2000

On Sat, 08 Jul 2000 11:32:11 -0500 Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> But feminism is a global phenomenon, while what we are concerned with is the
*special* place of religion, particularly fundamentalist religion, in the United States *in contrast* to Europe in particular.

Might it not be said that religiousity in the US is a reaction to political activity in Europe? Isn't the 'new world' *the* place where religion can run rampant? Freedom of religion is one of the key defining features of America. I'm not so much surprised by the existence of religion adherents as I am surprised by how few there actually are!

ken