religious crackpots in public life, was Re: The heart of a leftist

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Sat Jul 8 09:59:14 PDT 2000

yeah, and it's interesting that no one seems to like to call mumia a kind of religious crackpot

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca wrote:

> Something that hasn't much been mentioned, is the rise in fundamentalism that

> coincides with the rise in feminism. Fundamentalism wasn't an issue in the US

> until the beginning of this century... which, if I'm not mistaken, is pretty

> close to the rising political activity of the suffragettes.

But feminism is a global phenomenon, while what we are concerned with is the *special* place of religion, particularly fundamentalist religion, in the United States *in contrast* to Europe in particular. So the question becomes "Why, in the United States in particular, did the negative response to the women's movement take religious form?" Also, remember that the temperance and women's movements in the u.s. were interlinked.

Carrol