journalistic crackpots in public life (was: religious crackpots inpublic life)

Joanna Sheldon cjs10 at cornell.edu
Sat Jul 8 17:16:06 PDT 2000

>well, you've never made bread let alone kneaded it. it's simply not true
>that theory (knowledge taught from books or the words of others doesn't
>help). when learning to cook, we learn all sorts of things about what
>might make something work or not work on a given day when making
>things. bread, for example, does better with certain kinds of flour and
>yeast, etc. you can substitute when you don't have ingredients. but if
>you haven't a clue about what makes bread rise, and the chemical
>combinations behind the process, then you'll make something besides bread.

Hah. Kelley. I beg to differ. I've made excellent bread (having learned to knead and bake from my mother who learned it from her mother) without having the slightest idea wtf was going in the dough.

So there.

>similarly, your claim about how we go about working with
>religious people is based on a theory of knowledge and social change. you
>can't and don't escape by saying that you don't use theory. you do. all
>the time.

There may be theories about this or that but if we're ignorant of them and procede regardless, don't you think it's a bit of a stretch to say we're "using" theory?

sticky-fingered Joanna

www.overlookhouse.com