No more "crackpot"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jul 8 17:30:37 PDT 2000

It was a serious mistake on my part to begin a thread with the subject line "religious crackpot." That term has distorted the whole discussion. Religion has far too strong a grip on u.s. political, cultural, and social life. We need to understand why rather than either sneer at or defend believers. That is a given (and one with which one has to work in ordinary organzing situations, but not one which one need to bow before in theoretical and historical analysis). But is not a social condition which is self-explanatory -- and I think there is less of a clash than Chip seems to believe between his posts and Chuck's post. Different levels of analysis.

I didn't mean to trigger a sneering session, or a sneering at sneering at sneering at... session. I think it's a facet of u.s. life that needs extensive historical and political analysis.

Carrol