religious crackpots in public life, was Re: The heart of a leftist

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Sun Jul 9 07:00:55 PDT 2000

I probably should have said "outer class" rather than "lower class." Many fundamentalists (like some other seriously religious people) reject the dominant bourgeois academic authorities on such matters as cosmogony, evolution, and the status of science in general, as well as bourgeois professions on individual rights in such matters as sexual behavior, abortion, freedom of speech, and freedom of and from religion. I have even heard fundamentalist preachers on the radio go so far as to denounce unrestrained capitalism. And the suspicion of such people for interventionist, that is, imperialist foreign policy has been a staple of bourgeois derision since the end of World War II. I didn't mean they might not be prosperous, merely that they appear to be at odds with ruling-class opinions and practices.

As I said before, these ideological stances may be superficial, that is, may not be thought to call for strenuous praxis, but provide instead a mental refuge from the abrasions of modernity. Ronald Reagan grew up in a fundamentalist context and went to a college run by the Disciples of Christ. However, in later life he didn't seem to have a lot of trouble with imperialism and unrestrained capitalism, and in spite of the lip service given to fundamentalist social ideals nothing much actually happened.

Probably, there are a lot of people more or less like Reagan, which is why he was called "The Great Communicator" while he actually communicated very little in the sense of literally transmitting information. His audience already knew he was one of them: they were in communion, not communication. And this was enough, the ship of State needing not to be unnecessarily rocked.

Gordon wrote:

> >in the
> >case of fundamentalism it might offer lower-class traditionalists
> >and nostalgics relief from bourgeois cultural pressures and
> >continuous modernization.

Yoshie Furuhashi: