After the Fall (was Re: religious crackpots in public life)

jason rice red666er at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 9 16:28:40 PDT 2000

Sorry to trouble you, could I ask you a few questions about this posting?

>In other words, like Marx in 1844, Ken and his masters conceive of an
>unchanging
>human essence from which one can be "alienated." Within a few years Marx
>had
>consciously rejected this perspective and gone on to form an understanding
>of
>humans as social (i.e. historical) beings, having no human existence (even
>in
>theory, even in abstraction) independently of that historical actuality.
>Ken on the
>other hand remains with his feet solidly planted in eternity, outside
>history.

Marx came to view humans as entirely dependant on their historical period, not that it just shaped their perspectives, but actually founded them? But what about the biological parameters that all humans share, the structure of our eyes, the number of fingers we are have on each hand, our physical needs. Wouldnt these provide some commonality across historical periods? Not identical, of course, Im not implying that, but a definite grouping of shared characteristics that at some level allows one human to relate with others, no matter their historical distance. Jason Rice