A 'true" Christian is Non-denominational (was Re: "Christian")

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Sun Jul 9 17:36:58 PDT 2000

At 06:44 PM 7/9/00 -0500, you wrote:

>There is in the U.S. a *denomination* called the *Christian Church*

no, this isn't what "christian" means for most people who use it. the below is from a student who sent me to the web page of her church when i got into a long discussion with her. i was objecting to the way "just christians" colonize christianity. the below makes it clear that they do and it makes it clear that christian is explicityly NOT a denomination. here's why, on their logic:

What is a Christian?

In today’s divided religious world, the answer to this question has never been more important to determine, yet more difficult to define. Most people consider themselves to be Christians, even if they rarely pray or step one foot into a church building. We will often hear on the news that in the Middle East, Christians are at war with the Muslims. Further we often hear from conservative, religious politicians that America is or was a Christian nation. So, if we are part of a Christian nation and believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, even if we do nothing else, many hold that we are Christians. This is not a Bible definition, and since the term "Christian" is a Bible originated word, we should accept the Bible definition. Let us begin. <...> If you are a member of a Denominational church, you will have agreed with everything stated up to this point, but this is a very important part of the overall definition. If you admit that you are a slave of Christ, purchased and owned by Him, bound by His law, and committed to His discipleship for life, then you must admit that if Jesus forbids you from being Denominational then you cannot be a faithful Christian and a member of a denomination at the same time. Jesus prayed in John 17 that His followers would be ONE as He and the Father were ONE. Denominations do not act or believe as ONE, but as MANY. In some cities you may have 15 churches within 5 minutes of each other, but they don’t want to have anything to do with each other. In Polk City, there are 5 Baptist churches within 10 minutes of one other, all very small, but they are not ONE even though they all claim the same denominational name! Paul forbade denominationalism in 1 Cor. 1:10-13 and called it "carnal" in 1 Cor. 4:1-3. In verse 6 he gave the cure—do not go beyond what is written!!!! If everyone followed the same standard and chose to not go beyond what is written, you couldn’t have differences that would divide! Becoming a member of a denomination is going beyond what is written. What can you do?

Do you think that the churches in the Bible were denominational? Was the church in Corinth a different denomination from the church in Rome, Jerusalem, Antioch, Ephesus, Colosse, Philippi, etc.? Of course not! They were all one. What made them one? Their unity in the Spirit of God based upon a common set of beliefs (Eph. 4:1-6). This is also what makes a denomination, that is, unity in the denominational creed or common set of beliefs. When members of a denomination no longer accept the common beliefs of that denomination, they usually leave and form another denomination with a new set of common beliefs, and this cycle continues. Obviously somebody is constantly adding or taking away teachings to form new denominations.

* Most denominations admit that you do not have to be a member of their denomination to go to heaven.

* Paul, however taught, that there was only one body or church and that Jesus was the Savior of that one church (<http://mama.stg.brown.edu/templates/pbcgi?sourceform=pbform.shtml&maxhits=100&searchtype=fetch&version=asv&searchstring=Eph.+4%3a4,+5%3a23>Eph<http://mama.stg.brown.edu/templates/pbcgi?sourceform=pbform.shtml&maxhits=100&searchtype=fetch&version=asv&searchstring=Eph.+4%3a4,+5%3a23>. 4:4, 5:23).

* Most denominations require that you be saved before you become a member of the denomination. You choose the denomination.

* The Bible teaches that every saved person is "added to the church" by the Lord immediately when he is saved (<http://mama.stg.brown.edu/templates/pbcgi?sourceform=pbform.shtml&maxhits=100&searchtype=fetch&version=asv&searchstring=Acts+2%3a47>Acts 2:47).

* Now, if you must be saved before becoming a member of a denominational church, what are you a member of before joining a denominational church?

* The church that Jesus added you to when you were saved. It is Jesus Christ’s Church or the Church of Christ.

* What are you if you are saved and not a member of denomination?

* They were first called "Christians" in Antioch (<http://mama.stg.brown.edu/templates/pbcgi?sourceform=pbform.shtml&maxhits=100&searchtype=fetch&version=asv&searchstring=Acts+11%3a26>Acts 11:26).

* Of what denominations were the apostles?

* None. They were Christians only.

* If you become a Christian when you are saved, and that is all the apostles and disciples of Jesus in the Bible ever were, why not quit while you’re ahead and not become something else!!!!!

* If you do not have to be a member of a denomination to be saved, why join one?

* If it displeases Jesus, our Master, if we, as His servants, divide ourselves up and cut each other off, why be part of that system?

* Well, you have be part of a local church, don’t you?

* Yes. <http://mama.stg.brown.edu/templates/pbcgi?sourceform=pbform.shtml&maxhits=100&searchtype=fetch&version=asv&searchstring=Hebrews+10%3a25>Hebrews 10:25 says, "Not forsaking the assembling of yourselves together as the manner of some is, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching." Plus, local churches were a very large part of the Christians life in the New Testament.

* Ok! If I need to be part of a local church, but I cannot join a denomination, and I want to stay a Christian only, what should I do? Isn’t every local church out there some form of denomination? Good question. Abandoning denominationalism will divide you from denominational fellowship. This is a good thing, since you do not want to be part of this type of error which disregards Jesus’ teaching on unity. Unity is based upon the Spirit’s unique teaching (<http://mama.stg.brown.edu/templates/pbcgi?sourceform=pbform.shtml&maxhits=100&searchtype=fetch&version=asv&searchstring=Eph.+4%3a1-6>Eph<http://mama.stg.brown.edu/templates/pbcgi?sourceform=pbform.shtml&maxhits=100&searchtype=fetch&version=asv&searchstring=Eph.+4%3a1-6>. 4:1-6). The church of Christ will be the one church that teaches the full truth revealed by the Spirit, following the Bible and the Bible only. This means that it will look like the church of the Bible in its name, organization, and doctrine. It will not and cannot be in fellowship with denominations since they are not in fellowship with Jesus, even though they think that they are.One good, logical start is that if the church you are considering being in fellowship with is not mentioned in the Bible, it’s not the church of Christ.

http://www.polkchurch.com/