A 'true" Christian is Non-denominational (was Re: "Christian")

frances bolton fbolton224 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 9 18:10:01 PDT 2000

Kelley wrote:

> christians" colonize christianity. the below makes
> it clear that they do
> and it makes it clear that christian is explicityly
> NOT a
> denomination. here's why, on their logic:

Well, it makes it clear that "christian" is not *necessarily* a denomination, at any rate. It's not primarily a denomination, but there is a denomination that is the Christian church. From conversations with fundamentalist Christians, I've gotten the sense that there are a lot of churches that consider themselves the only true christians. I also sort of get the sense that "non-denominational" (or undenomational, as they say in tampa)is as much a denomination as any other denomination.

> If you admit that you are a slave of Christ,
> purchased and owned by Him, bound by His law, and
> committed to His discipleship for life...

That's kind of sexy/nasty, in the same way those bloody naked Jesuses are. mkes me wonder about the roots and strange pleasures of christian self-denial and focus on sinfulness.

frances