A 'true" Christian is Non-denominational (was Re: "Christian")

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Sun Jul 9 18:44:47 PDT 2000

At 06:10 PM 7/9/00 -0700, frances bolton wrote:

>Kelley wrote:
>
> > christians" colonize christianity. the below makes
> > it clear that they do
> > and it makes it clear that christian is explicityly
> > NOT a
> > denomination. here's why, on their logic:
>
>Well, it makes it clear that "christian" is not
>*necessarily* a denomination, at any rate. It's not
>primarily a denomination, but there is a denomination
>that is the Christian church. From conversations with
>fundamentalist Christians, I've gotten the sense that
>there are a lot of churches that consider themselves
>the only true christians. I also sort of get the sense
>that "non-denominational" (or undenomational, as they
>say in tampa)is as much a denomination as any other
>denomination.

yes, but what is a denomination? it's a kind of word game they are playing --one in which they are avoiding outright intolerance by saying "you're not christians and we are". they can't call themselves a denomination because that would be admitting that there are different paths to christ or somesuch. that would be admitting that there are different ways of interpreting the bible when we all know frances that there is only one true way to interpret the bible.

lawdy, but ain't ya glad you're in new york now??

(well, i'm off to cook some blue crabs so, i'll enjoy some aspects of it for awhile ;)

>That's kind of sexy/nasty, in the same way those
>bloody naked Jesuses are.

ya think? the jesuses i saw when i was a kid were innocent child type jesus and didn't do much for me. well, bloody jesuses probably wouldn't either.

>mkes me wonder about the
>roots and strange pleasures of christian self-denial
>and focus on sinfulness.

i know, i admit that i didn't read that far last year when she sent me the link. but man, slave of christ.... hell-o. honestly, i've never heard any of my students when i ask them about being just a christian that they see it in quite this way. a few of my lakeland students belonged to the church of christ in polk co. wonder why they didn't? i wouldn't say it's because they are aware of it being in inappropriate way to speak about it since they spoke about a lot of things in ways that shocked the hell out of me.

ooops water is boiling...

kelley (did i reach 15 posts today yet?)