After the Fall (was Re: religious crackpots in public life)

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Sun Jul 9 21:08:04 PDT 2000

>You're kidding right? Is Butler really arguing that we only recognize that we
>need food after we eat? No. That doesn't make sense. In retrospect we attach
>meaning, and subjectivize (or desubjectivize) responsibility.

well fuckmedead but i thort you were gonna yell at me and say that this is what you were arguing.

how can we possibly know we need food? a baby blats. who knows why? we give it milk, a swat, dry diapers, hugs, songs, screams, food, nothing, tickles, a television screen, a toy, burping, etc. as an infant is given those things, names/words/sounds/symbols are attached to them.

> > there is no such thing as "being" or "need" until after language in
> which we
>posit such a thing.
>
>So there is a blank slate and everything is socialized? Isn't that a bit old
>school?

olde skule, you betchya.

>don't make me cut you a new undergrowth of enjoyment!

if i bring the silver bullet, would ya?

kelley