Guy Trebay

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Jul 9 21:26:52 PDT 2000

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, frances bolton wrote:

> Until recently he was writing mildly stuff for the Village Voice. In
> today's NYTimes, he's got a piece in the 'Sunday Styles" section
> entitled "World Class Center for Wedding Albums."
>
> What happened to him?

Got older, needed money? Also the Voice has collapsed and fired almost everyone so he needed a job. I suspect the change in his style is consensual -- that he wrote Voice stuff when he worked for the Voice and now he writes Times stuff for the Times. It's SOP in New York for culture beat writers from independent magazines to go write for the Times when their magazines fold and/or when they've grown up and have nothing left to say. This is what the Times thinks of as rejuvenating itself.

Michael