After the Fall (was Re: religious unmentionables in public life)

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Mon Jul 10 06:56:53 PDT 2000

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000 08:42:22 +1000 Joanna Sheldon <cjs10 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> the bliss of ignorance.

I'd go along with that.

> I'm probably committing all kinds of sins, here, left and right, but
> (forging ahead, regardless) to say that the rupture between speaking and
> being can be fixed only at the expense of subjectivity may be a clever way
> of saying that to the extent that we are aware of ourselves we find it
> difficult to exist as our animal selves -- in other words that our busibody
> human brains often prevent us from living in the moment.

Yes.

> So have some mindbogglingly sensuous sex, or have a beer and a fag and watch
a football game -- if you're lucky you can combine all four -- and watch that rupture dissolve, language or no language. Us artists like to throw paint at a canvas with much the same effect, there are ways of getting past the mind/body split without having to resort to Lacan.

And Lacan has a name for this: jouissance. And this isn't so much a mind and body split as it is a split mind/body (both the object and the subject are lacking).

ken