Politics of Rape Science (was Re: After the Fall)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jul 11 15:24:46 PDT 2000

> >>Not in the world I live in.
> >>
> >>cheers,
> >>Joanna
> >
> >Perhaps in your world scientists are still trying to come up with a
> >"biological basis" for inadvisability of miscegenation & advisability
> >of prohibition against it.
> >
> >Yoshie
> >

>I disagree with your use of the word "disappear". I mean, simply, that
>even if we get rid of rape there will always be people arguing that when it
>existed among us there were biological reasons for its existence. You
>disagree?
>
>Joanna

I doubt people would (for in the case of "scientific" arguments over miscegenation, the topic has disappeared from biological discourse altogether, and we only discuss it as part of the history of racism), but let's say, for the sake of argument, that you're right & scientists would be still speculating on "biological reasons" for rape; in that case, we'd be thinking of "biological reasons" in a way very far from Randy Thornhill & Craig T. Palmer's conception of "biology." The word "biological," as it is currently used in ideology, seems to me to be euphemism for "not likely to disappear" (as in "boys will be boys" because of evolutionary adaptation). And that is why it is useful as a device for depoliticization, since politics is about social change.

Yoshie