anti-communism

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 11 15:23:21 PDT 2000

Think I read this years ago in a piece on Richard Hofstadter and C.Wright Mills, in of all places, the neo-connish, "American Scholar, " that the dept. chair at Univ. of Maryland for Soc., sometime in the fifties, said Mills wasn't a sociologist, he was a Marxist! (The Sunday, NY Times Book Review just had a piece on the UC Press collection of letters by Mills.)

This kinda thinking in College Park, MD. lingered. Remember when Bertell Ollman was unhired in the 80's? Do I remember correctly, that it was a brother of J(aye) Edgar Hoover on the Board of Regents, that lobbied hard against Ollman?

And, David Abraham that wrote the book on Weimar Germany, that Harry Ashby Turner ran out of the history profession.

And...and...and...

Michael Pugliese