Naomi Klein: "The Vision Thing"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jul 11 17:18:17 PDT 2000

Chuck wrote:

>I suppose the poetics of now sounded too fancy, but that quote came at
>the end of his book after some hundred and fifty pages of
>development. And, Spanish has that emphatic quality where everything
>sounds like a pronouncement from god (maybe this was a childish
>impression while my ears were turning red at the sound of, `Nino,
>vengati aqui ... blah, blah, blah' something or other).

Perhaps I'm not sure if comparing photography with politics is a very good idea, though I like your reference to Cartier-Bresson's "method of discovery." I think if I were journalists like Doug & Naomi Klein, I'd be happier with Seattle, A16, etc. This new ferment would then probably appear to me to be simply exciting. Even a picture of "each intersection" having autonomy, sometimes "defiantly guarding, well, nothing," would be touching. But as an activist, I have mixed feelings about it.

Yoshie