Greenspan: hire today, fire tomorrow, keep workers guessing

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Jul 11 22:34:34 PDT 2000

>>But one less welcome byproduct of rapid economic and technological
>>change, and the necessary heightened level of potential job dismissal
>>that goes with it, is the evident insecurity felt by many workers despite
>>the tightest labor markets in decades. This anxiety stems, I suspect,
>>from a fear of job skill obsolescence, and one very tangible measure of
>>it is the pressure on our education and training systems to prepare and
>>adapt workers to effectively run the new technologies.
>
>"Less welcome" - he's being coy, since that anxiety is exactly why he's
>let unemployment get so low, a point he's made more clearly in
>Congressional testimony.
>
>Doug

but but but doug, it's worse much worse that this on the front lines. come on! it's all over the place. now that labor market is tight, those damn workers are getting uppity. they think they can run the show. check out the horror stories below. it's hilarious. i keep reading this crap over and over and over againg: people just have no skills or talent or manners these daze. it's all over the biz press. they want a "new economy" but not really a "new economy"

(5) Tight job market turns tables on interview process

Have you heard the tale of the job candidate who opened her purse,

pulled out a brownie, and started munching at the CEO's desk? When

the executive vented his shock, the woman said she was merely trying

to maintain her blood sugar level. What about the chief technology

officer who asked a prospective employee how he could contribute to

the company, and the programmer threw his hiking boot-clad feet on

the CTO's oak desk and said, "What can you do for me?" Recruiters

and human resource managers sadly recount these stories and dozens

of similar ones, insisting that uncouth behavior has become

alarmingly commonplace in job interviews. They argue that the

nation's low unemployment rate has created a job seeker's market in

which prospective employers are willing to forgive a multitude of

sins. In the process, they say, interview etiquette has become as

scarce as the hand-written thank-you note. Job candidates for

computer or Internet companies in the nation's technology hubs seem

especially unschooled. From personal hygiene quirks to body-piercing

faux pas, recruiters say their repertoires of horror stories are

growing faster than the preponderance of tongue studs among urban

youth. Many employers are willing to shrug off small breaches of

civility, including job candidates who neglect to shake hands or

make eye contact. What most alarms recruiters is the prevailing

attitude that the worker, not the prospective employer, controls the

interview. Their biggest complaint: job candidates who talk about

compensation, particularly their salary or how many stock options

they will receive, before they discuss their career path.

http://update.winfiles.com/cgi-bin2/flo?y=ett03QWH0Bo0CtsC