Naomi Klein: "The Vision Thing"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jul 12 07:01:29 PDT 2000

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>Perhaps I'm not sure if comparing photography with politics is a
>>very good idea, though I like your reference to Cartier-Bresson's
>>"method of discovery." I think if I were journalists like Doug &
>>Naomi Klein, I'd be happier with Seattle, A16, etc. This new
>>ferment would then probably appear to me to be simply exciting.
>>Even a picture of "each intersection" having autonomy, sometimes
>>"defiantly guarding, well, nothing," would be touching. But as an
>>activist, I have mixed feelings about it.
>
>Not sure what you mean by speaking as an "activist," since the
>scores of thousands of people in the streets for N30 and A16 were
>also "activists." Perhaps as a Marxist you differ from their
>eclectisim and anarchism, but that's another story.
>
>Doug

I don't think the majority of the participants have been anarchists, if by anarchists you mean persons who consciously hold anarchism as the most desirable political philosophy. They are simply young and mainly white.

I'm saying that if I were observing this movement in the capacity of a reporter, not as an activist, I'd probably find it just fascinating. As an activist, I've found problems with it, especially its influence on the local activist scene (which I mentioned a while ago).

Yoshie