The heart of a leftist/Last time

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Wed Jul 12 07:26:46 PDT 2000

Sure, but it's not "Stalinism" that does it--it's any commitment to the left, or near it. It wouldn't have helped if my ex-collegaues had been clearer, had they cared, that I am an anti-Stalinist. There is an old joke about a cop in a labor dispute who starts to beat up a scab: "You commie scum!" he yells, belaboring ahim about the head. "Wait, wait," said the the scab, "I am an anticommunist!" "I don't care what kind of communist you are," says the cop. "All you reds are the same to me!" And I don't think that criticism of evil, vile, and stupid positions among ourselves ought to be muted because in the wrong context, like a departmental retention evaluation, which this is not, they might be misused. --jks

In a message dated Tue, 11 Jul 2000 5:53:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> writes:

<< >I think we got into this because people who had never paid the price
>for left wing convictions accused me, who lost my job and first
>career to redbaiting, of red-baiting.
>--jks

I sympathize, but the prices paid for left-wing convictions are all the more reasons for being careful about the use of such terms as Stalinism (for instance by making a distinction between formerly existing Stalinism & phantom Stalinisms that haunt political discourse). BTW, the possibility of threat to jobs is ever present in academia. Let me share with the list a posting by the vice chair of my department at the OSU during the recent strike:

At 11:13 AM -0400 5/8/00, Valerie Lee wrote:
>Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 11:13:56 -0400
>Sender: owner-engrad at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
>From: Valerie Lee <lee.89 at osu.edu>
>To: engrad at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
>Cc: engfac at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
>Subject: Class Cancellations
>
>To All GTAs:
>
>Important Reminder:
>
>It has come to my attention that some of you have told your classes
>that you will not be meeting until the strike is over. Some students
>in "cancelled" classes have requested that their money for the
>quarter be refunded. I would like to remind you of what your
>responsibility is:
>
>As a GTA, you have signed a contract saying that you will fulfill a
>specific responsibility. It is a breach of the contract to tell
>your students that you will not be meeting with them. Additionally,
>you should not move your class to another location, unless every
>student in that class agrees to such a move. If even one student
>objects, you should not move the course.
>
>Some of you have found useful ways to incorporate the issues of the
>strike into your class discussions. Fine. Others have taken
>actions that may jeopardize their reappointments. Let's work
>together on these issues.

> Valerie Lee
>Professor and Vice-Chair, Department of English
>Professor, Department of Women's Studies
> The Ohio State University
> 164 West 17th Avenue
> Columbus, Ohio 43210-1370
> (614)292-6735

Yoshie <excerpt>I think we got into this because people who had never paid the price for left wing convictions accused me, who lost my job and first career to redbaiting, of red-baiting.

--jks

</excerpt>

I sympathize, but the prices paid for left-wing convictions are all the more reasons for being careful about the use of such terms as Stalinism (for instance by making a distinction between formerly existing Stalinism & phantom Stalinisms that haunt political discourse). BTW, the possibility of threat to jobs is ever present in academia. Let me share with the list a posting by the vice chair of my department at the OSU during the recent strike:

<excerpt>Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 11:13:56 -0400