The heart of a leftist/Last time

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Wed Jul 12 08:40:25 PDT 2000

Lose it, Carroll. This is tired. --jks

In a message dated Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:39:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> writes:

<< [Prologue: I think we got into this because people who had never paid the price for left wing convictions accused me, who lost my job and first career to redbaiting, of red-baiting. --jks

I share with Coriolanus a disinclination to exhibit my battle scars in public, so I will pass this by without comment.]

JKSCHW at aol.com wrote:

> ...And I don't think that criticism of evil, vile, and stupid positions among ourselves ought to be muted because in the wrong context, like a departmental retention evaluation, which this is not, they might be misused. --jks

You never stated and criticized any such positions. Had you done so you would have escaped the red-baiting charges. But you merely ranted about "stalinists" while making no effort to establish the content of that term.

Also from this post:

>>Sure, but it's not "Stalinism" that does it--it's any commitment to the left, or near it. It wouldn't have helped if my ex-collegaues had been clearer, had they cared, that I am an anti-Stalinist<<

So apparently had you not been an anti-stalinist -- had you, like Yoshie, refused to so label yourself -- the firing would have been legitimate.

Carrol