Horowitz on Jacoby

Jacob Segal jpsegal at rcn.com
Wed Jul 12 15:27:19 PDT 2000

>>Any thoughts on the l'affaire Jacoby?
>
>What is l'affaire Jacoby? I live in Boston and this is the first I've
>heard of the situation.
>
>What happened? Why did he get fired? Horowitz certainly didn't go into
>any details.
>
>Brett

A long story, but in brief:

For one his of columns, Jacoby rewrote an anomymous email circulating about the heroic fate of the people who signed the Declaration of Independence (killed, tortured, property destroyed). The email was full of errors, some of which Jacoby corrected but some he missed. His article had the same form as the email, if slightly different content. For this transgression, the Globe suspended him four months.

For a full account see Chatterbox at Slate.

Jacob