Of lawn sprinklers and Social Security

Tom Lehman TLehman at lor.net
Wed Jul 12 14:19:14 PDT 2000

Carl---The Gdansk bit says to me, that things change, but, always remain the same. The same communists that ran old Poland, now run new Poland only under a different brand name. I think Wojtek would agree with me on this analysis and he should know.

If we privatize Social Security, which as von Hoffman sees happening regardless of which Gorebush wins, this is a real break with a rational and successful past. A real systemic change.

Now if von Hoffman's analogy means that privatization will only result in a re-socialization in the future. Then shouldn't we ask at what cost and when. A new Dark Age, even a short one would be miserable. But, then as someone said, "in the end we are all dead."

Tom