Freedom & National Security (was Re: The heart of a leftist/Last

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Sun Jul 16 16:42:44 PDT 2000

> >>This is one of several parts at
> >><http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1840/free-press/index.htm>
> >>. This one's at
> >><http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1840/free-press/ch04.htm>:
> >>Rheinische Zeitung
> >>No. 132, Supplement
> >>May 12 1842
> >>Karl Marx
> >>On Freedom of the Press
> >
> >Doug! You know as well as I do that re-epistemological break
> >young-Hegelian bourgeois-rights-loving stuff doesn't count...
>
> I don't think Marx ever thought that free speech was undesirable.
> Instead, he began to ask such questions as, "what are material
> conditions for freedom?"
> Yoshie

Marx opposed state press censorship throughout his life although he didn't write much about it after indictment on several counts related to writing and editorship of *Neue Rheinische Zeitung* in 1848-49. By that time he was not defender of press freedom per se, but proponent (as speech to the court in one of his trials indicates) of militant press that would expose injustice and assist in destroying existing order. Later, he wrote bit about bourgeois press distortions of working class, and, in couple of reports to First International, of efforts to prohibit working class press freedoms. Michael Hoover (who has now three times posted this to list)